You'll need to delegate a subdomain to our servers when you want to implement it as your custom 'from' address (CFA) with us, but the subdomain is registered with another domain provider.
First, you'll need to check with your IT department and/or domain provider whether your subdomain can be pointed to us. This is because some domain providers may not allow subdomains to be pointed to different name servers to those of the parent domain.
For example, we know that Network Solutions won't allow you to create NS records for subdomain delegation.
If your domain registrar's application doesn't provide you with the ability to delegate subdomains within their interface, then contact their customer support to request implementing it. Most registrars will allow it.
You need to create NS records that point to us. They need to be set as:
- ns0.dns.dotmailer.co.uk *(184.108.40.206)
- ns1.dns.dotmailer.co.uk *(220.127.116.11)
- ns2.dns.dotmailer.co.uk *(18.104.22.168)
* Note: only use the IP addresses if absolutely necessary, as these are subject to change.
You'll find some step-by-step instructions below about how to implement this with the most popular domain providers.
ImportantAside from the process documented for AWS Route 53, we generally don't recommend adding SOA records. This is because it can cause confusion for some servers when it's asked to get an SOA record from a nameserver which isn't the one the record points to.
We rely on our DNS (domain name system) records being the same for all sending subdomain names that we host. There are many thousands of these.
This allows us to transparently and safely make changes when we need to add or update features, or our network infrastructure.
The reason we don't add custom DNS records is that dotmailer is a service platform. We rely on the platform being consistent and not having special cases and exceptions. This allows us to provide a high quality and consistent service to all customers, and means our technical staff can work on it as a single platform.
Once the subdomain has been pointed to us, you need to contact firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the following:
- confirm that the subdomain is pointing to us
- provide the alias you want to use for the custom 'from' address (before the @)
- provide the username of the account that the CFA needs adding to
We can then set up your CFA for you.
InformationPlease note that it can take up to 48 hours for the CFA to be activated.
Follow these steps:
- Click Create Hosted Zone
- Enter the full name of the subdomain you're delegating to
- Click Create
- Click the NS record for the new subdomain zone
- Copy the existing NS values and save them somewhere for later use
- Change the existing NS records to our NS records - ns0.dns.dotmailer.co.uk, ns0.dns.dotmailer.co.uk and ns2.dns.dotmailer.co.uk (one record per line)
- Click Save Record Set
- Select the SOA record for the new subdomain
- Change it to the following value (as a single line) - ns0.dns.dotmailer.co.uk admin.dns.dotmailer.co.uk 2 7200 900 1209600 86400
- Click Save Record Set
- Click Back to Hosted Zones and then click your main domain zone
- On your main domain, click Create Record Set
- Enter the name of your subdomain without the main domain name, e.g. just 'email' in this case
- Select NS - Name server for the type of record
- Enter the previously saved values from step 5 - and don't copy the values displayed in the screenshot below
- Click Create
Follow these steps (after logging into your GoDaddy account):
- Click on your name in the top right corner of the app, select My products and then click on DNS next to the domain whose subdomain you want to delegate to us
- At the foot of the 'Records' list for the domain, click on Add. If you don't see a 'Records' list, it means that your DNS records are being managed elsewhere, in which case you'll need to visit wherever that happens to be instead.
- Set the 'Type' to 'Nameserver', set the 'Host' to your subdomain name without the parent name (e.g. 'email' if your parent domain is 'email.yourcompanyname.com), set 'Points to' to 'ns0.dns.dotmailer.co.uk', set 'TTL' to '1 Hour' and click Save
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 to add the records for ns1.dns.dotmailer.co.uk and ns2.dns.dotmailer.co.uk