Feature requires enablementPlease note that to be able to utilise the single sends feature within your dotmailer for Microsoft Dynamics CRM connector you will first need to contact email@example.com to have this feature enabled.
A single send is the ability to create a single ‘send record’ for an individual target. This article explains how this is done.
Creating a new single send record
Step 1: When on the 'Email Campaign: Information' screen for the specified email campaign that you wish to send, click the arrow next to the campaign's name to open the menu and select Email Single Sends.
Step 2: From the 'Email Single Send Associated View' screen, select Add New Email Single Send. You will then be taken to the 'New Email Single Send' form for filling in:
The fields making up the form are covered below:
- Email Campaign – This is the name of the specified email campaign to send. Required.
- Send Type – 'Campaign Send' is the default value and refers to a standard single send. 'Transactional Send' is currently not supported.
- Send Status – Options include 'Scheduled', 'Sending', 'Sent', 'Paused', 'Cancelled' and 'Failed'. Send Status must be set to ‘Scheduled’ for the single send processor to execute the send. Required.
- Scheduled Send Date – This is a date for the send to execute. It must be set to be in the past or present for the scheduled send to go out immediately. Required.
Please bear in mind that the single send processor runs every two minutes, so you may need to wait a couple of minutes for your single send to execute.
- Date Sent – This will be set by the single send processor once the send has executed.
- Details – This is a text box to allow you to add a note or description to your single send.
These are the details of your contact or lead in your CRM that you wish to execute the email single send for. ‘Target Email Address’ is the only required field in this list, as an email address is necessary to execute the send.
- Contact Name
- Lead Name
- Account Name
- Target Marketing List
- Target Email Address
This allows you to specify up to 10 contact data labels/fields to synchronise across to dotmailer. A scenario where you might use this is if you have personalisation included in your specified email campaign. Please ensure that you have the contact data labels/fields mapped before you add a field to 'Content Customisation'.
These fields are updated by the single send processor once the single send has executed.
- Result Message – This details the reason for a single send failure.
Reasons you may encounter for a single send status being ‘Failed’ in the ‘Result Message’ text box include (but are not limited to):
- [Single Send Failed] Server was unable to process request. ---> Contact is suppressed ERROR_CONTACT_SUPPRESSED – The contact is suppressed within the respective dotmailer account.
- [Single Send Failed] Server was unable to process request. ---> Invalid email address ERROR_CONTACT_INVALID – The email address on the contact/lead/account that you are trying to send to is not a valid email address; we recommend checking the email address for errors.
- [Single Send Failed] Server was unable to process request. ---> Your account has generated excess API activity and is being temporarily capped. Please contact support. ERROR_APIUSAGE_EXCEEDED - The connector uses the dotmailer API for everything that it does with dotmailer, from getting the email campaign reporting data into your CRM to sending the single dend email campaigns to your recipients. As well this, each dotmailer account has its own hourly API limit. We recommend waiting at least one hour before re-attempting the single send. Please contact support if the error happens again.
- [Single Send Failed] Email Single Send is not valid for the following reasons: No target Email address can be determined for this send – The contact/lead/account you are trying to send to does not have an email address.
- [Single Send Failed] Error: ERROR_CAMPAIGN_NOT_FOUND – The specified email campaign can't be found in the specified dotmailer account. Please review that the email campaign has not been deleted, and that the dotmailer account specified on the single send record has the specified email campaign within it.
- [Single Send Failed] Error: Server was unable to process request. ---> Contact data field "" does not exist. ERROR_CONTACT_INVALID – The content customisation includes a contact data label/field that does not currently exist within the corresponding dotmailer account. Please create the contact data field within the dotmailer account and set up the data mapping before re-attempting the single send.
- [Single Send Failed] CreateContactCommand Failed – This is a failure to create a contact in the respective dotmailer account using the contact/lead/account details.
- [Single Send Failed] Import Result command timed out - This is a failure to begin the contact import in dotmailer.
- [Single Send Failed] ImportWatcher timed out (10 minutes) - This is a failure to monitor the progress of a contact import in dotmailer.
What to do if your single send status changes to ‘Failed’
If you see that your single send has ‘Failed’, we recommend reviewing the ‘Result Message’ before attempting another send.
After doing so, and if appropriate, you can attempt another send by changing the ‘Send Status’ from ‘Failed’ to ‘Scheduled’. If the ‘Send Status’ is ‘Scheduled’, and the ‘Schedule Send Date’ is either now or in the past, then the single send processor will pick this up to be sent.