An action is an event that happens as a result of a trigger. For example, if you're sending a text message, each time you receive an email, the sending of the text message is the action, and the receiving of an email is the trigger.
An action can be as a result of a trigger from any Zapier app. For example, Zapier has the following pre-built Zaps that you can use:
- Create or update dotmailer contacts from Facebook Lead Ads
- Send dotmailer transactional emails for new PayPal payments
- Create new dotmailer contacts when a new Google contact is created
The dotmailer Zap has the following eight actions:
This action allows you to send an email campaign to a contact. You can provide a date and time to schedule the send, or you can send it immediately.
Enrol contact on program
This action allows you to enrol a contact on an active program.
Create contact data field
This action allows you to create a contact data field, and store data in it.
- Name the contact data field
- Select the data type of the contact data field
- Decide if the contact data field is public or private
Create or update contact
This action allows you to create a new contact or update an existing one. In addition to adding a new contact to the 'All contacts' address book, you can select a specific address book from your account that you wish to add a new contact to.
- Enter the email address of the contact
- Optional: Add an email type
- Optional: Add an opt-in type
- Optional: Select an address book to add the contact to
- Optional: Update existing contact data fields
This action allows you to unsubscribe a contact from your account. The only required field is the contact's email address.
This action allows you to refresh a segment that already exists in your account. You just need to select the name of the segment you want to refresh.
Create address book
This action allows you to create a new address book in your account.
- Name the new address book. This name can't match the name of an existing address book, including 'Test' or 'All contacts'.
- Decide if the address book is public or private
Send transactional email
This action makes use of dotmailer's transactional email functionality. It allows you to send a transactional email, with the following variables:
- From address (required) - This is the custom from address in your dotmailer account that you want the emails to be sent from. If a from address doesn't exist in your account, dotmailer will use your account's default from address.
- To address (required) - You can enter either a single address or multiple addresses that you wish to send the transactional email to.
- Subject (required) - This is the subject line of the transactional email you're sending.
- HTML content (required) - This is the content of the email you want to send. This field accepts full HTML, so you're able to make your emails look as amazing as you like.
- Plain text content (required) - If you're not planning on sending an HTML-based email using this action, then you can use this field to specify the plain text that you wish to send instead.
- Cc addresses (optional) - This allows you to specify any additional email addresses you want included on cc (multiple addresses allowed).
- Bcc addresses (optional) - This allows you to specify any additional email addresses you want included on bcc (multiple addresses allowed).