|1. Check the email status report|
|2. Check the external dynamic content link is correctly set up|
|3. Check that a cron job is set up|
|4. Other possible explanations|
There are several quick health checks you can make when it comes to ensuring your abandon cart emails are set up and firing correctly. This article outlines these checks and should help to troubleshoot any problems.
This report is found by going to Marketing Automation > Reports > Email status, and it only ever contains abandoned cart sends or review requests. It features all contacts and the type of email due to them, or that has been sent to them.
By checking this report you're firstly able to tell whether abandoned cart emails are being queued for sending, whether they are being sent to dotmailer and whether anything is failing. You can sort and filter this report in a number of ways to find the information you're looking for.
However, if you're having problems with your sends and nothing obvious is showing within this report, then continue on to the following checks.
Firstly, check the external dynamic content link is correct that you’re using for pulling abandoned carts information into your campaign content. Do this by navigating to System > Configuration > DOTMAILER > Dynamic Content and then click into External Dynamic Content URLs. The link should look like this, under 'Abandoned Carts':
Make sure this variation of the link is contained within the campaign you're using for your abandoned cart emails within your dotmailer account.
Also make sure you also have the LAST_QUOTE_ID data field correctly mapped. You can automap this by going to Configuration > DOTMAILER > Developer > Sync Settings, under 'Admin Task'.
The cron is a vital part of making sure your abandoned cart emails fire. dotmailer tasks have a few scripts that are required to run periodically, so please ensure you set up a cron job within your Magento connector to do this if there isn't one set up already.
Once you have successfully set this up, you should have a task called 'ddg_automation_abandonedcarts' running at five minute intervals, amongst other tasks.
Please note - we also recommend installing the AOE Scheduler (as shown below) to give you a real-time view of the tasks running throughout your site, as well as giving you the ability to manage and configure your cron jobs.
Your cron job is set up: check. Data is syncing into your account without a problem: check. Your abandoned carts are enabled within the Magento connector: check. However, are your emails still not sending? In that case, there could be issues on the dotmailer side of things.
Check the following in dotmailer:
- Has any external dynamic content failed upon sending? Check your account notifications to find out (by clicking on the envelope icon next to your name in the dotmailer header).
- Do you have enough credits with which to send the emails?
- Are the emails going into recipient junk folders?
- Was the email skipped? If so, the 'Email skipped' report will appear under the 'Delivery' section of a campaign's reporting overview page, where skipped sends and the intended recipient will be listed.
- Is your API user disabled?
- Is your account disabled/locked?
If you’ve done all of the above and are still experiencing issues, please contact the support team at email@example.com.
Alternatively, please comment underneath with any questions you may have.
The above also applies for Magento 2.0, with the following differences:
- The equivalent of the 'Email Status' report is found by going to Reports > Campaign Sends.
- External dynamic content URLs are found by going to Stores > Configuration > DOTMAILER > Dynamic Content > External Dynamic Content URL's.
- The automapping function is found by going to Stores > Configuration > DOTMAILER > Developer > Sync Settings, under 'Admin Task'.