Using random splits in programs

Summary

The Random split node is used to create a random split of contacts in your marketing automation program, based on a given probability of contacts going down either one of the routes.

This is useful, for example, if you want to test a welcome program featuring an increased number of campaigns compared to your established welcome program featuring a certain number of campaigns. By setting a percentage probability for each route your contacts could go down, you're in a position to evaluate the performance of the two routes. It gives you the information you need to decide whether it's worth permanently switching to your newer welcome program, featuring the increased number of campaigns, or not.

random_split_prog.png

Configuring a random split in a program

Drag and drop a random split node from the side panel onto the canvas, making sure it attaches to a previous node. Click on the node to set the chances of contacts going down each program branch. A panel will slide in from the right side of the screen.

random_split_config.png

You can either set the probability percentages with the slider control, using the increment and decrement buttons, or type the percentage directly into the field.

Important

Please note that random splitting is based on probability as applied per contact. It's not a set percentage split of the amount of contacts passing through the node (which wouldn't essentially make it random). For example, if you set the probability as 80% for one route and 20% for the other, it does not mean that 80 out of 100 contacts will go down the 80% route and 20 contacts will go down the 20% route. With a random split in this scenario, you are stipulating that each individual contact, when they reach the node, has an 80% chance of being sent down one route and a 20% chance of being sent down the other route.

Click Apply when you're happy with the percentages.

The 'Random split' node will be set.

Next you need to ensure both branch connectors are attached to the subsequent nodes you want your contacts to progress to.

In our simple example given at the top of the page, contacts passing through the '80%' chance random split node will go down the route that receives the campaigns of the currently used welcome program. Those contacts falling within the 20% category will be sent down the other route and will receive the campaigns of the newly devised welcome program (with the extra campaigns).

Have more questions? Submit a request

Comments

Powered by Zendesk