|Creating an address book|
|Adding contacts to your address book|
|» Add an individual contact|
|» Add a list of contacts from an Excel or CSV file|
Every email address you upload is stored in your account as a 'contact'. In addition to an email address, a contact can have details such as name, preferences and other data associated with them.
- Address books are lists of contacts used for organising your data and for choosing who to send campaigns to. Each contact in your account exists in one or more of these address books. Your account includes two special address books:
- Your account includes two special address books:
- 'All contacts' includes all contacts in all address books
- 'Test' is the list of contacts to which you can send campaign test sends
To create a new address book, follow these steps:
- Navigate to Contacts > My contacts. Your address books are displayed in the main area of the screen.
- Click on New address book located at the top of the 'Address books' tab to be taken to the 'Create address book' page.
- Give your address book a unique name. You can also add a description for it, as well as place it in the folder of your choice (if you've already created a folder).
- Once you've completed the relevant information, click Save.
You can now upload your contacts, or you can do this at a later stage.
There are several ways to add contacts to your address book. The main two are:
- Adding contacts one at a time using our online form
- Uploading a file from an Excel or CSV file
In addition, depending upon your account level, you may be able to import contacts from Salesforce.
You can also create a signup form to place on your website or use our API to insert contacts using other software.
When adding individual contacts using the online form, you can set the options and contact data fields for the contact.
If you need to store additional data for the contact, you can create a new contact data field by clicking on the Data fields tab and then clicking on the New data field button.
This will open the 'Create new data field' side panel.
Alternatively, you can go to Contacts > Contact data fields > My data fields and click on the New data field button to create a new contact data field.
Read more about creating a new contact data field »
When choosing to add a list of contacts from an Excel or CSV file, select the file to upload by clicking on Choose file.
You can set the following for the import:
- Email address to notify - Large imports can take a while; if you'd like to be notified by email when the import is complete, enter your email address here
- Encoding type - Our system defaults to the Latin alphabet. If you're importing email addresses containing Cyrillic letters, for example, then you might want to pick an appropriate character set encoding. Unicode (UTF-8) handles most characters, however.
When ready, click on Upload.
On the data matching page, click on the dropdown menu of each contact data field and select the appropriate label for each column, or create a new contact data field by selecting Add new data field.
When ready, click on Finish and the file will be imported into the selected address book.
If any records fail to import successfully, a faults file will be available for you to download.