|Navigating the image manager|
|Uploading new images|
|Previewing and editing images|
|Manage what folders your images are stored in|
|Search for images|
You can manage images using the image manager.
It can be accessed in three ways:
- From Campaigns > Image manager in the top navigation bar of the app
- When in Build > Images in EasyEditor, click on Manage
- When in the surveys and forms tool, adding or editing an image will open it
The image manager allows you to:
- Upload new images (including the upload of multiple images)
- Edit and delete images
- Manage what folders your images are stored in
- Search for images
- Recover deleted images
Within the image manager there are a few key controls to determine your view.
Click on the file tree in the left-hand side panel to determine which images you view. As well as any folders you create yourself, you also have the top level choices of 'All images', 'Images used in this campaign' and 'Recently uploaded images'.
Click on the list and thumbnail view icons to toggle between showing a grid of all your images or a list of thumbnail images with additional information such as width, height, size and upload date.
If using the thumbnail view, you can use the slider to determine the size of the thumbnails. Move it left to reduce the size and right to increase it.
If using the list view, you can change the default order of the list of the folder you're in (which is based alphabetically on image name) by clicking on any one of the attribute titles. Thus 'Name' can be changed from alphabetical to reverse alphabetical order, 'Width', 'Height' and 'Size' can be switched between ascending and descending order, whilst 'Uploaded' can be switched between most recent upload first or oldest upload first.
Other useful navigational features to note:
- Mousing over any image will highlight its containing folder in the file tree to the left
- When you exit image manager, the folder and image you last had selected is highlighted in the side panel. This makes it easy to then insert that image into your campaign if you wish. Conversely, the image you've selected in the side panel will be the image highlighted when you open image manager.
To upload new images:
- Click on the Add button
- Choose your image (or images) in your computer's file system
- Click OK or Open
Images are created with the same name as the filename from your computer (with some changes to remove special symbols). You can rename them once they've been uploaded.
Note that multiple image upload is not available for all browsers (notably it's not supported by Internet Explorer 8 or 9).
Use the toolbar running along the top of the image manager to preview and edit your images.
To rename an image, click on its name at any point. This will make the name editable.
Alternatively, click on Rename.
Click on Preview to open a full-size version of the image. This can also be done by double-clicking on the image in image manager.
From here you can remove sections of an image that you don't want, or edit it with Aviary's picture editor, by selecting Crop or Edit from underneath the image.
You can also select to crop or edit an image from the top ribbon without needing to preview it.
On the cropping screen, a cropping rectangle will display in the image.
You can manipulate the rectangle over the area of the image you want to keep by dragging it as a block around the image, by lengthening or shortening its sides horizontally or vertically, or by increasing or decreasing its area by pulling one of its corners in or out. Width and height indicators along the bottom edge indicate the size of the image that is being retained.
To entirely move the cropping focus elsewhere in your image, simply click on the desired location with the crosshair, hold down and drag to make the cropping rectangle re-appear in that position and thus cancel the previous position.
When you're happy with your cropping, click on Save cropped image. You'll have two choices:
- You can either overwrite the existing image (don't worry though - the original will continue to display wherever it's already been used), or
- You can choose a new name for the image (thus this will be saved as a new image and not overwrite your original).
In addition to image manager's native cropping function, you also have the power of the picture editor to edit your images. Select Edit to open it.
It comes with nine key functions:
- Transform - custom crop your images, or choose from predefined crops, including Facebook-appropriate ones
- Filters - choose from a huge range of filters to get just the effect and tone you want
- Adjust - adjust the brightness, saturation and contrast of your images, as well as the ability to apply other refinements
- Focus - apply the focus effect of your choice
- Text - apply text to your images, and style it
- Text Design - choose from a number of text designs to give your text character
- Stickers - apply any number of emoticon and shape stickers to your images (such as smileys, speech bubbles or arrows)
- Brush - touch up your images with brush settings
- Frames - apply a frame around your images
- Overlays - apply an overlay to your images from a range of choices
The image manager supports unlimited folders and nested folders. To create a new folder click on the New Folder icon.
The new folder will be created inside the current folder.
You can drag folders around to nest them inside each other, and delete whole folders by moving them to the Recycle bin.
To rename a folder, click on the folder name to highlight it and then click again to edit its name.
Images can be dragged from one folder to another. You can also select multiple images and drag them to a new folder.
To delete an image, either drag it to the Recycle bin or select it and then click Remove on the toolbar, which will also place the image in the recycle bin.
Not sure which folder an image is in? Don't worry - the image manager includes a search facility in the top right-hand corner; type the name, or part name, of the image you're looking for and it will show all matching images from all folders.
You can also search for images uploaded in a given month of a year by searching the three letter shortening of a month’s name or the full month’s name followed by the full year, e.g., ‘jan 2014’ or ‘january 2014’.
A temporary folder will contain your search results. Mousing over a found image will highlight its containing folder in your folder tree, whilst also producing an information box containing all the relevant details about the image.
We also have keyboard shortcuts for navigating your way around the image manager:
- Ctrl and k will show the grid view
- Ctrl and l will show the list view
- Alt and + will initiate the upload of an image
- Alt and n will create a new folder