The campaign setup screen, which is the very first step - Create - of the campaign creation process, contains important information that will impact upon whether your email is opened by your recipients.
You'll want to think about how you're going to make the best use of this very first chance you get to communicate with your contacts.
Completing the campaign setup screen
Firstly, you have the ability to rename your campaign in the very top left corner of the screen. Simply click on [Rename] to do so. This is the name by which it will appear in the list of your campaigns.
The information required for the campaign setup screen is as follows:
- Subject line (required) – enter what the recipient will see as the subject line of the email when it arrives in their inbox.
You can also add emojis to it. Click on the smiley face icon next to the subject line to open up the emoji picker.
There are seven categories you can choose from - 'People', 'Nature', 'Food', 'Activities', 'Travel & Places', 'Objects' and 'Symbols'. You're also able to quickly search for emojis by entering terms such as 'sun', 'car' and so on.
Emoji support can vary across email clients, devices and operating systems - so it's best to testIt's great to make use of emojis. They can increase your open rates and enhance engagement. However, a word of warning: emoji support can differ across email clients and devices. There are lots of emojis you can choose from but they may not all get rendered correctly or consistently in your recipients' inboxes. This will depend upon their email client, device and operating system configuration.
If you want to make use of emojis in subject lines, then we strongly advise testing them to see how they render. Once you've sent out a proper campaign or two, you can even base this testing upon the most popular email clients your recipients are using (as provided in our 'Email client breakdown' report).
Our inbox test partner, Email on Acid, have a useful blog post on emoji support in email.
- Friendly from name (required) – enter the name of a specific person, or department, that you would like to show this email was sent from.
- From address (required) – this is the email address your recipients will see the email as appearing from. By default, one is created for you. However, if you have any custom from addresses, they'll also appear in this dropdown for you to choose from.
- Forwarding address (optional) – all replies to your campaign will be stored in your reporting area against the relevant campaign. However, if you also want these replies to be forwarded on to an email address of your choosing, then enter that here.
- Campaign tags (optional) - enter a tag, or multiple tags, to assign to your campaign (such as 'Newsletters' or 'Offers', for instance). This will allow you to group campaigns together using tags, meaning you can then filter your campaigns in reports and listings, making it easy to isolate these groups.
As you enter this information, the preview below will update so you can see what your email will look like when arriving into a recipient's inbox.
Once you've completed all the relevant fields, click Save & continue.
This will take you through to EasyEditor, where you can work on your campaign's content.