We can provide verified double opt-in when contacts opt in to your communications. An automated confirmation email is sent to your contacts and these contacts aren't added to your address books until they click the confirmation link in the email.
Double opt-in (DOI), also known as confirmed opt-in (COI), is regarded as best practice because it makes sure that contacts really want to receive your emails.
Double opt-in also protects you from the following:
- Malicious opt-ins (for example, opt-ins that are made by spam bots)
- Spam complaints
- Click the person-and-cog icon in the navigation bar
- Go to Account > Account settings
- Under the 'Regulatory settings' section, select any option, except 'Do not enforce double opt-in'
- Click Save settings
You can customise the opt-in confirmation email that signups receive, or you can create your own triggered campaign to use as the opt-in confirmation email.
To customise your confirmation email, go to Contacts > Advanced features > Subscription settings.
Click Choose file to select a logo.
The logo that you add here is also added to the default resubscribe confirmation email.
Click Preview to see both the default resubscribe confirmation email and the default verified double opt-in confirmation email.
- Select the campaign to send. Leave this as 'Default' to send the default confirmation email. If you want to send your own triggered verified double opt-in confirmation email, use the 'Campaign to send' dropdown to choose one.
- Select a verified double opt-in action. This action happens after contacts click the confirmation link and complete the verified double opt-in process. The default selection is to 'Show some text', such as 'Thanks for the confirmation'. You can change this wording if you wish by editing it in the box provided. Alternatively, you can set the verified double opt-in action to 'Go to a page'. Enter the URL of the page in the box underneath, or you can use the dropdown below it instead to select a landing page you've created with our landing page tool.
- Click Save after making changes
External dynamic content and advanced personalisation can't be used in triggered campaigns for confirmation emails.
If you want to create your own confirmation email and control its content, rather than use the default one, then do the following:
- Create a triggered campaign
- Add a verified double opt-in link
- Select the newly triggered campaign as your confirmation email
- Depending on the option you chose in your account settings, your contacts are automatically sent either the default confirmation email or the triggered campaign that you selected
- Contacts won't appear in the address book until they've clicked on the confirmation link in the email. They will be be in a pending state until they do so and all pending contacts can be found under Contacts > Suppressed contacts > Pending contacts.
- After contacts click the confirmation link in the email, they'll see the message that you entered on the 'Double opt-in settings' page or they'll be taken to the page you selected on the 'Double opt-in settings' page
- At this point, they're added to the address book that you selected and their opt-in type is set to verified double
Pending contacts are contacts who've been sent a double opt-in confirmation email but who've yet to click the confirmation link. You'll find these listed under Contacts > Suppressed contacts > Pending contacts.
After they've clicked the confirmation link, they'll be removed from this page and added to your contacts.
Information on pending contacts is stored here until you choose to delete it.
If a pending contact is deleted and they click a confirmation link after being deleted, they won't be added to your contacts. They'll need to sign up again and be sent a new double opt-in confirmation email.
Confirmation email limits
Contacts can be sent a maximum of three confirmation emails.
A contact can't be sent more than one confirmation email in a five-minute interval.