A preference centre is a form that helps you to improve communications with your contacts by giving them an easy way to manage how you contact them and what data you hold about them.
The preference centre allows contacts to do the following:
- Change the address books that they belong to, meaning they can unsubscribe from specific address books instead of unsubscribing from all address books (opt down instead of opt out)
- Change their details
After you've set up the preference centre, contacts can access it by clicking a link in your campaign.
Contacts who click the link are taken to a page that asks them to enter their email address (the one to which the email was sent).
After submitting their email address, they are taken to a second page where they can change and update their details.
Any contact data fields and address books that you want to appear in the preference centre must be set as public.
Alternatively, to unsubscribe from everything, contacts can click No more email.
You'll need to compete the following two steps:
- Make sure that the contact data fields and address books that you want to display are set to public (newly created ones are set to private by default).
- Include a link to the preference centre in your campaign, for which we offer two methods:
- Send contacts to the preference centre when they click 'Unsubscribe'
- Insert a separate link to the preference centre
Contacts can edit their preferences by selecting the names of the address books they want to belong to and by changing the values of their contact data fields.
To display the name of an address book or a contact data field in the preference centre, you need to set its visibility to public.
After setting address books or contact data fields to public, your contacts will be able to see the names of them when they access the preference centre. So, remember to make sure that the names are sensible!
Setting contact data fields to public
- Go to Contacts > Contact data fields and click the My data fields tab
- Click the 'Properties' icon of the contact data field that you want to set to public
- Next to 'Access', select This data label is public
- Click Save
Setting address books to public
- Go to Contacts
- Click the 'Properties' icon of the address book that you want to set to public
- In the 'Visibility' field of the 'Settings' tab, select Public (show in preference centre)
- Click Save
Note: For new accounts, contacts are sent to the preference centre by default when they click 'Unsubscribe'.
- Click on the person-and-cog icon at the foot of the side navigation bar and click Account
- Click the Account settings tab, scroll down to the 'Features' section and select Show the preference centre when a contact unsubscribes
- Click Save settings
If you chose to send contacts to the preference centre when they click 'Unsubscribe', you won't be able to also insert a separate link to the preference centre.
The steps below allow you to include both 'Unsubscribe' and preference centre links in your campaign, with the 'Unsubcribe' link serving to remove the contact from all address books.
- When editing your campaign content, add the text that you'd like to link to the preference centre (e.g. 'Change my details')
- Select the text, then click Link in EasyEditor's toolbar
- In the 'Add a link' window, select Preference centre and then click Insert
The preference centre is available in 20 different languages. We'll send each of your contacts a preference centre that has been translated into the language that their computer is set to (if that language is available).
If you'd like to customise the preference centre, please contact us (or directly contact your account manager) as our managed services team can build one for you.
Alternatively, you can try creating a customised unsubscribe form to put on your own webpage.